Saturday, June 13, 2009

Endings and beginnings


T.S. Eliot said "What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from."

This week I have come across some people from my past. Some of these people I knew long ago and others have more recently left my life for whatever reason.

Looking at things now, these times seem so long ago for me. I feel like I was such a different person then and in many ways, I don’t really remember that life that I used to live. It is such a weird encounter because it physically illustrates the shifts and changes that I have undergone during the past couple of years. And it is such an amazing thing to see.

Don’t get me wrong, my spiritual journey is just beginning, as I begin to try to really understand and get to know myself and I have tons more to learn, live through and encounter. But I realize that I am no longer in the place where I used to be, that I am moving forward and beyond things that in the past would have kept me stuck. To actually see that I am not there anymore, that I have moved forward is huge for me. It feels empowering and positive and real.

At the same time, there is so much sadness in endings-letting go of all that was shared, all the moments that brought so much joy. But I am beginning to realize that these are simply moments, moments to be cherished and remembered. And after all is said and done, they are moments just the same.

Time results in changes: people change, life shifts and things that were so stable at one point in time can become unstable and messy. Change causes shifts which begin to work away at you, and chisel at you as you become the person you were meant to be.

I am grateful for everyone who has come and gone because they all had a purpose, all taught me more about myself and who I was. They helped me grow. And although this process is hurts, it has to happen all the same and the only way to go through it is to go through it.

Today, I learned that endings are not really endings at all; they are the beginnings of something new: new understandings come with shift and change.

Love and light,

S

1 comment:

  1. S...I truly enjoy reading your blog...I was just cleaning up my emails and came across it! Realizing you are in a wonderful place spiritually and mentally! wishing you life long happiness and love!

    ReplyDelete