Thursday, May 7, 2009

How much is too much??




Is there ever such a thing as giving too much of yourself? I think there is especially when you are not being appreciated by the other person-regardless of who it is.


Today I find myself contemplating how much of myself I choose to give because in the end, for me at least, it is about choosing to love myself enough to really see what is happening to avoid unnecessary pain. It is easy to put on blinders and pretend I don’t see what I see but in the end, I only end up getting hurt. And anything that causes hurt or makes me feel bad is not self-love.

This reminds me of a poem that I am across while studying in the library. I randomly opened a book and it fell on a page that had the following poem:

There's a hole in my sidewalk

Chapter 1

I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost...I am helpless.
It isn’t my fault.It takes me forever to find my way out.

Chapter 2

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don’t see it.
I fall in again.
I can’t believe I am in the same place.
But it still isn’t my fault.
It still takes ma very long time to get out.

Chapter 3

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it there.
I fall in...its a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

Chapter 4

I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

Chapter 5

I walk down another street.

Today I learned that if it doesn’t make me feel good then it’s not right - I should start walking down another street.


Love and light,

Saran

1 comment:

  1. I love this poem. Thank you for posting it. It seems so familiar, although I'm almost certain I never read it. Maybe the author and I walk in the same neighbourhood. Lol

    mb

    ReplyDelete